Lviv street songs and ballads from the 1920's and 30's still
entertain people today with their humor, melodies and danceable
The rich street language of those days - called "balak" - has
now disappeared, but traces remain in individual words and phrases
still spoken in Lviv.
This language was based on a mixture of Western
Ukrainian dialects and Polish, with some German and Hebrew influences.
Since the lyrics of many of these songs had a few variations, I edited
them for Victor Morozov to make them more understandable to
The most popular heroes of these songs were "batiars" - a specific breed in Lviv.
Batiars resided in the areas around Lviv and were known as local playboys, hoodlums and hooligans.
Batiar's Day in Lviv, 2010
Only in Lviv (2002)
1. BATIAR[MP3] 2. ONLY IN LVIV[MP3] 3. IN THE STRYJSKY PARK[MP3] 4. THE BUTCHER'S DAUGHTER[MP3] 5. AT THE VETERAN'S BALL[MP3] 6. WHEN THE MUSIC PLAYS 7. BOUNCING LAD 8. FAR FROM THE CROWD 9. DANCE IN THE SUBURBS 10. IT'S MIDNIGHT 11. LYCHAKIV TANGO 12. THE AUNT 13. FAJDULI 14. ONLY IN LVIV (remix from 30-іes)
All ukrainian versions of texts by Yuri Vynnychuk except "Only in Lviv" by Bohdan Stelmakh
Victor Morozov - vocals, acoustic guitar
Petro Rachynskyj - accordion
Bohdan Nazar - violin
Stepan "Smola" Netrebiak - clarinet
Ivan Ohar - double bass
Roman Zhuk - tuba (6)
Our special thanks to: Roman Lozynsky, Ostap Fedoryshyn
and Franz Yosyf
A BATIAR'S HEART (2010)
1. ZENYK[MP3] 2. DOROTHA[MP3] 3. ABRAHAM[MP3] 4. SO LONG AGO[MP3] 5. GOOD SWILL AT BOMBACH’S 6. A BALL AT BOMBACH’S 7. BATIAR LOVE 8. A BATIAR'S HEART 9. DIVE BAR 10. NO BELLS TOLL FOR ME 11. BATIAR HEAVEN 12. DEAR MADAM 13. THE GATES HAVE CLOSED
14. PIPE 15. GIVE’EM A KNUCKLE SANDWICH! 16. LVIV BEER 17. BLACK COFFEE 18. THE LAST BAGEL 19. LIGHT BULB
BATIAR BLUES (2013)
1. ON PRUS PLATZ[MP3] 2. THE LAST BATIAR[MP3] 3. THE MANDOLIN, GUITAR & THE BASS[MP3] 4. MY SWEET TART[MP3] 5. WOJTEK 6. AT THE KULPARKIV NUTHOUSE 7. MY DADDY 8. MISS FRANNY 9. BATIAR BLUES 10. AT THE CEMETERY 11. PARTY 12. THE BOAT 13. AT THE KRAKIV MARKET 14. DUMMY 15. MARYSIA 16. IN THE PROFESSORS' DISTRICT
17. THE LVIV GUITAR 18. A BATIAR CAROL 19. P.S.
Minus tracks (karaoke):
20. THE MANDOLIN, GUITAR & THE BASS 21. MY DADDY 22. THE LAST BATIAR
BEAUTIFUL DREAM - Bohdan Vesolovsky Songs (2018)
1. Beautiful Dream 2. A Girl As Sweet As Candy 3. How Can I Not Love You 4. When the Sun Sets 5. Is It Really True? 6. Don't Fool With Love 7. Hi-Ho 8. There'll Come a Time 9. Fly, My Lonely Song 10. Play For Me 11. Paraska 12. Good Night, My Love 13. Longing 14. A Romantic Adventure 15. All My Life
16. You Will Return 17. All My Dreams 18. It's Too Late 19. Do You Know? 20. Charm of the Carpathians 21. I'd Fall in Love with You 22. Every Time
In his day, Bohdan Vesolovsky opened the door to European music and later, while living in Canada, created links between
Ukraine and its diaspora around the world. Victor Morozov is somewhat like him in his artistic and literary endeavours.
And now, Vesolovsky's "Beautiful Dream" is becoming a reality, as he transports us, once again, to the romantic retro atmosphere
of 1930's Lviv. "Bondi" himself used to perform his humorous song "A Girl as Sweet as Candy". Now Victor Morozov offers us this
"sweet treat". We are sincerely grateful or, as they used to say in those days, we tip our hats to him for such a heartfelt contribution
to the borderless artistic phenomenon I somewhat humorously call "Bondiana".
Ihor Ostash, author of the book "Bondi, or the Return of Bohdan Vesolovsky"